Thursday, July 7, 2011

Things I Have Learned While Living in England



We are just back from a spending a great 3-day weekend in Vienna, Austria.  Vienna is such an easy city to tour, everything for the most part was in walking distance or accessible by their subway system.  We enjoyed some great food and did a bit of shopping - if you want to know the details of our itinerary and how we did it just let me know!


On our flight home, I started to reflect on some of the life lessons I have learned during these past two years abroad. Here's my list:

THINGS I HAVE LEARNED FROM ENGLAND :

  1. Mind the Gap - If you have ever been to London, then you know this phrase well - if you have not then google it!   Outside of riding the Underground in London, this phrase reminds me be aware of my surroundings and any obstacles that I might encounter.  It doesn't mean that we should not take risks or experience adventure, but just that we should be aware of any pitfalls along the way
  2. Recognize When You're KNACKERED and Take a Break - One thing Europeans do very well is balance work and life.  For the most part, folks make time to have fun, have hobbies, travel and spend time with their families - I don't think we do that enough in America.  "Knackered" means worn out, exhausted, or good for nothing.  I have found I am much more productive and pleasant when I balance work and life.
  3. Keep Calm and  Carry On - One of my favorite quotes...a wartime quote from Winston Churchill.  Its pretty self explanatory, but says so much - just keep going, no matter what is going on around you. 
  4. Dance in the Rain - Well, you don't have to exactly dance in the rain, but if you have ever spent a significant amount of time in England, you know that you have to get out and get on with your day when it rains.  At home, when there is rain or the promise of rain, we typically stay home and wait for the storm to pass.  Here in England, we have learned that if we are going to get anything done, we have to just get out and go, even in the pouring rain!  I have actually come to join the rain, which I never thought I would.  Our time on this planet is limited, do not delay your productivity and adventure one day longer, even if its raining :-) 
We are really going to miss this place, but are truly looking forward to going home soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment